Re: Wily may be non-free

Jacob Adams <tookmund@gmail.com> writes:

> It is currently in debian main, but appears to be non-free.

Thank you for drawing attention to this.

> However, it includes two libraries that are compiled into the final
> executable, libframe and libXg. Both these libraries contain the
> following copyright notice at the top of each file [2]:
>
> /* Copyright (c) 1992 AT&T - All rights reserved. */

One thing is certain: The ‘debian/copyright’ file needs to be updated
with an explanation of the copyright status of those files.

> That seems pretty clearly non-free to be, but as it's currently in
> Debian, I figured I would ask here before filing an RM bug against
> wily.

I think you can make a bug report to discuss the matter. Start it at
“important” severity because the ‘debian/copyright’ file is not
accurate.

If the discussion does not reveal a good explanation for the source
files that makes the work clearly DFSG-free, then the severity should be
increased.

--
 \         “It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival |
  `\                                   value.” —Arthur C. Clarke, 2000 |