Re: DFSG + Hack typeface license with transition to proposed new source file build in Debian package

We created a new thread for our license discussions for anyone who is interested in participating on the repository:

https://github.com/source-foundry/Hack/issues/271

One possibility for us would be to eliminate the dual license structure and simply revert to the Bitstream Vera license with public domain contribution of our changes in the same fashion that the DejaVu group used for their modifications to Bitstream Vera Sans Mono.

This sounded ‘benign' to me but Dave Crossland informed me that public domain contributions to the public domaining of these source contributions led to additional problems with distribution.  My understanding is that there were legal issues that arose in some European countries and that this is (at least in part) why DejaVu Sans Mono has never been included as part of the Google Fonts collection.

I am hoping not to trade one set of problems for another and would be interested in your feedback about any potential DFSG issues associated with commitment of source modifications to the public domain if we moved towards this strategy.