Re: transformed external sources with untouched copyright in upstream source ball

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 9:12 AM, Jerome BENOIT wrote:

> One of the package that I Intend To Package, libgap-sage not to mention it [1],
> contains source files that are basically transformation of source files from an
> other software, gap as you have likely guessed it: grossly, a prefix (libGAP_) is
> prepended to each variable/function name. It appears that the copyright notice
> in the header of the transformed source files is literally untouched.
> libGAP and GAP are both distributed under the GPL-2+ License.
> Note that some of these are C headers meant to be installed for systemwide usage.

Why can't sage just use gap itself? The changes sound like a fork with
no purpose. I don't think the security team would like having to do
the same bugfixes in two essentially identical packages.

https://wiki.debian.org/EmbeddedCodeCopies

--
bye,
pabs