Re: R packages licensed MIT but not shipping a copy of the MIT license itself

Mattia Rizzolo <mattia@debian.org> writes:

> [ please CC me as I'm not in d-legal@ ]

Done.

> So, today I discovered [0] that R-project has some polices regarding
> licenses [1].  In particular they have one regarding the MIT license
> [2].  This needs to go together with their extensions manuals [3].

Thanks for raising our attention to those.

For reference, so that we can see the text in the context of this
discussion, here is the text in question.

At <URL:https://www.r-project.org/Licenses/> is the following text:

=====
R Licenses

The following licenses are in use for R or associated software such as
packages.

    The “GNU Affero General Public License” version 3
    The “Artistic License” version 2.0
    The “BSD 2-clause License”
    The “BSD 3-clause License”
    The “GNU General Public License” version 2
    The “GNU General Public License” version 3
    The “GNU Library General Public License” version 2
    The “GNU Lesser General Public License” version 2.1
    The “GNU Lesser General Public License” version 3
    The “MIT License”
    The “Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike International License”
    version 4.0

R as a package is licensed under GPL-2 | GPL-3. File doc/COPYING is the
same as GPL-2.

Some files are licensed under ‘GPL (version 2 or later)’, which includes
GPL-3. See the comments in the files to see if this applies.

Some header files are distributed under LGPL-2.1: see file COPYRIGHTS
(on the SVN server).
=====

Each of the named licenses is a link to another page.

At “MIT License” is a link to <URL:https://www.r-project.org/Licenses/MIT>
which reads:

=====
Based on http://opensource.org/licenses/MIT

This is a template. Complete and ship as file LICENSE the following 2
lines (only)

YEAR:
COPYRIGHT HOLDER:

and specify as

License: MIT + file LICENSE

Copyright (c) <YEAR>, <COPYRIGHT HOLDER>

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining
a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the
"Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including
without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish,
distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to
permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to
the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND
NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE
LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION
OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION
WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
=====

--
 \          “What I have to do is see, at any rate, that I do not lend |
  `\      myself to the wrong which I condemn.” —Henry Thoreau, _Civil |