Re: License of binary packages

Hi,

Le 13/11/2014 16:37, Ben Finney a écrit :

>> The file debian/copyright only contains the license of the sources;
>
> Not true.

That’s a strong affirmation. Policy 4.5 may deserve some clarification,
but I wouldn’t be so affirmative (or negative).

https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-dpkgcopyright

> The ‘debian/copyright’ file is installed by each binary
> package ‘foopackage’ as the ‘/usr/share/doc/foopackage/copyright’ file,
> and constitutes the copyright information for that binary package.

That’s an incomplete description of how dh_installchangelogs works, more
information is available in dh_installchangelogs(1) (e.g., you’re free
to provides the debian/foopackage.copyright file in the source that will
be installed in /usr/share/doc/foopackage/copyright, but you can also
override it or not use debhelper at all).

Regards

David