Re: Debian and the Vinay Sajip License

On 15/09/14 06:55, Vinay Sajip at Red Dove wrote:
>>> 3. The Python standard library logging module is covered by the Python
>>> license, so I don't believe it needs relicensing.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, the Python standard library logging module is
>> covered by the Python license *and* the Vinay Sajip license - on
>> Python's licensing page [1], they have a long list of "Licenses and
>> Acknowledgements for Incorporated Software".
>>
>> (Perhaps someone else from -legal can confirm this?)
>
> The license in question does not appear in the "Licenses and
> Acknowledgements for Incorporated Software" for Python versions 2.7 [1],
> 3.4 [2] or the in-development version (to become 3.5) [3]. You
> referenced a footnote no. 1 in your email but no link was provided, so
> I'm not sure where you got the above from.

Sorry, I forgot to add the footnote :) But yes, I can see that the
license in question does not appear on the list. However, the list notes
that it is an "incomplete, but growing list of licenses". It would
appear that they just forgot to include it. Since the logging module is
contained within Python with your license headers, your license must
apply as well as the Python license. The point of that list is that the
Python license is not the only license that applies to Python.

> It appears that this very old code is only ever invoked if the Python
> logging module is unavailable. However, this would only apply to Python
> versions < 2.3, and Xen has a dependency on Python 2.5. So the code in
> question is never called and could IMO be removed. I would guess this
> code is a holdover from versions of Xen pre-dating its adoption of a
> release of Python >= 2.3. Note that the last version of the standalone
> module was 0.4.9.6, which is later than the 0.4.9.2 version referenced.

Thanks for noticing this! I've submitted a bug for this to be removed:
https://bugs.debian.org/759384

Regards,
Riley