Re: Debian and the Vinay Sajip License

3. The Python standard library logging module is covered by the Python
license, so I don't believe it needs relicensing.

As far as I can tell, the Python standard library logging module is
covered by the Python license *and* the Vinay Sajip license - on
Python's licensing page [1], they have a long list of "Licenses and
Acknowledgements for Incorporated Software".

(Perhaps someone else from -legal can confirm this?)

The license in question does not appear in the "Licenses and Acknowledgements for Incorporated Software" for Python versions 2.7 [1], 3.4 [2] or the in-development version (to become 3.5) [3]. You referenced a footnote no. 1 in your email but no link was provided, so I'm not sure where you got the above from.

4. The original logging module (pre inclusion in Python 2.3) is unlikely
ever to see another release, since AFAIK later versions of Python now
ship on Debian and its derivatives.

It seems that xen still uses the original logging module:
http://sources.debian.net/src/xen/4.4.0-4/tools/python/logging/logging-0.4.9.2/setup.py/?hl=12#L12

It appears that this very old code is only ever invoked if the Python logging module is unavailable. However, this would only apply to Python versions < 2.3, and Xen has a dependency on Python 2.5. So the code in question is never called and could IMO be removed. I would guess this code is a holdover from versions of Xen pre-dating its adoption of a release of Python >= 2.3. Note that the last version of the standalone module was 0.4.9.6, which is later than the 0.4.9.2 version referenced.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip

[1] https://docs.python.org/2/license.html#licenses-and-acknowledgements-for-incorporated-software [2] https://docs.python.org/3/license.html#licenses-and-acknowledgements-for-incorporated-software [3] https://docs.python.org/dev/license.html#licenses-and-acknowledgements-for-incorporated-software