Re: Trilinos licensing

> * James Cloos:

>> NS> I was also a little worried about the "public domain" disclaimer.
>>
>> Sandia is a US federal government institution; works created by US
>> federal government employees as part of their work cannot have
>> copyright; they are always in the public domain.
>
> | The prohibition on copyright protection for United States Government
> | works is not intended to have any effect on protection of these works
> | abroad. Works of the governments of most other countries are
> | copyrighted. There are no valid policy reasons for denying such
> | protection to United States Government works in foreign countries, or
> | for precluding the Government from making licenses for the use of its
> | works abroad.
>
> (House Report No. 94-1476)

Yes, agreed. From: http://www.cendi.gov/publications/04-8copyright.html#317

"the copyright exclusion for works of the U.S. Government is not
intended to have any impact on protection of these works abroad (S. REP.
NO. 473, 94th Cong., 2d Sess. 56 (1976)). Therefore, the U.S. Government
may obtain protection in other countries depending on the treatment of
government works by the national copyright law of the particular
country. Copyright is sometimes asserted by U.S. Government agencies
outside the United States."