Re: Trilinos licensing

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 05:29:28PM -0400, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 05:07:15PM -0400, Richard Fontana wrote:
> > Why not? The traditional (though possibly retro-justified) theory of
> > LGPLv2.x compatibility with GPLv2 is the 'convert to GPL' section 3 of
> > LGPLv2.x
> >
> > (even though its requirements are almost never followed in
> > any relevant situation). This says you can convert to later versions
> > of the GPL.
> >
> > - Richard
>
> It appears as though you're right. Is there a history of folks changing
> this section to read like the GPLv2 (hard) to avoid the upgrade-ability
> of the LGPLv2.1?

Not that I can recall. I have encountered one, but only one, project
that explicitly invoked this clause but I can't recall whether it
arose out of a license compatibility issue or simply a desire to
upgrade to GPL for its own sake.

> (and wow, I've missed that for years, thanks, Richard)

You might like my FOSDEM 2014 talk on license compatibility or some
parts of it at least. There's an amusing moment where I am informed
that Ian Jackson is Ian Jackson. :)

http://video.fosdem.org/2014/H2213/Sunday/Taking_license_compatibility_semiseriously.webm

- RF