Re: data and software licence incompatabilities?

On 03/09/13 04:13, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Francesco, if you want to get Debian to *change its position* on
> licenses where you think an error has been made, please start a
> discussion in an appropriate forum such as debian-project and Cc:
> the ftp team.  debian-legal is not and never has been the place to
> get changes made to the policy [...]

Dear Listmasters and debian-legal,

Whatever else, the complaint about abuse by over-repetition seems
valid, but I'm not sure what terms of reference listmasters use to
review complaints.  http://bugs.debian.org/536575 is still open.

However, the above descriptions of debian-project and debian-legal are
rather misleading.  Positions on licences have been developed on
debian-legal many times, while debian-project mainly was used when
there were wider whole-project concerns.

At the moment, the official descriptions of the two lists are:

debian-legal - Copyright, licensing and patent issues;
Discussions about legality issues such as copyrights, patents etc.

debian-project - Discussions about non-technical issues in the project;
Discussion about non-technical topics related to the Debian Project.

I suggest adding "related to the Debian Project. Please summarise
non-Debian personal opinions on your website rather than this list."
to the description of debian-legal but I feel it would be unfair to
punish someone today for exceeding a restriction not yet written down,
so let's revisit it a month or so after that sort of change.

I will submit the list topic change as a wishlist bug Real Soon Now
unless I'm told not to.

Regards,
- --
MJ Ray (slef), member of www.software.coop, a for-more-than-profit co-op