Re: Public Domain again

On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 02:04:26AM +0100, Jérémy Lal wrote:
> To be practical, are these files all right to be listed
> as 'public-domain' in debian/copyright :
>
> * without copyright notice

Not public domain.  Copyrighted without license.  If the author hasn't stated
anything, then the work is copyrighted.

> * with a short notice
>   'There is no licence for this, I don't care what you do with it'

Not public domain.  Copyrighted without license.  The part "There is no licence
for this" explicitly states that there is no license, although the part "I
don't care what you do with it" somewhat sounds like a license.

> * without copyright notice, and an explicit
>   'this code is under public domain'

This looks like a work in the public domain.

> * the same as above, but with a copyright <name> <year> next to it,
>   (i made that last example, to be sure i get it)

Not public domain.  Copyrighted with a statement that could be interpreted as a
license.  The author apparently meant to allow anyone to use the work as if it
were in the public domain.

Regards,

Bart Martens