Re: public domain no modification

On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 15:10:26 -0700 Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 12:01:45AM +0200, Francesco Poli wrote:
[...]
> > That's not my understanding of the issue under consideration: more
> > details are included in my own analysis [1].
>
> Yes, because as usual your analysis is way out in left field.

I really cannot understand the reason for all this hatred.
Did I do any nasty things to you in the past?
Are you unable to have a discussion without indulging in ad hominem
attacks?

> > My impression is that clause 2 introduces odd restrictions on how
> > modified versions are packaged
>
> "package" is synonymous with "name" in this case.  DFSG#4 says free works
> may require a name change when modified.

As Walter Landry pointed out [2], these packaging restrictions
interfere with the ability to create drop-in replacements and with the
freedom to translate the work into other programming languages.
These restrictions seem to go beyond what is allowed by DFSG#4.

[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2012/04/msg00017.html

> > and insists that modifications be documented in comments (which, depending
> > on how it is interpreted, may be a very strong restriction).
>
> You mean like this restriction?
>
>     a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices
>     stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.

No, I mean like the restriction actually included in the clause under
discussion: "the modifications are documented in comments".

This restriction looks definitely different from the one you quoted
from the GNU GPL v2.

The GPL just requires me to write notices where I state that I
changed the files and the date of any change.

On the other hand, the restriction under discussion requires me to
document the modifications in comments. As noted by Walter Landry [2],
this forces the use of comments, which may be syntactically
unavailable in some cases.
Moreover, this restriction is a bit vague, and could be even
interpreted as requiring that the reasoning behind each modification is
explained and discussed thoroughly in comments. This would be a very
good documenting practice, but mandating it through licensing terms
looks fairly overreaching (at least to me).

> You know, the one in the GPLv2?
>
> Your claims that this may be non-free are absurd.

I don't think so, since, as explained above, the restriction under
consideration is different from the one found in the GNU GPL v2.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!