Re: Using freetranslation.mobi to translate .po files

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
I on the other hand believe that the translator here implicitly put
this derived work under GPL, because not doing it would be in
violation of the GPL.  I believe assuming people follow the law and
the license is a better assumtion to make than to assume that they
break the law and the license.

If it's GPLV3, GPLV3 has a fair use clause.  So the translator is following
the law and the license--yet is not putting the translation under GPL, and
the translation can't be distributed further (since that would *not* be
fair use).

GPLV2 has no fair use clause, so with GPLV2 the translator would indeed be
violating the license, but he'd be violating the license *legally*--he
wouldn't be breaking the law, since fair use is legal.