Re: Using freetranslation.mobi to translate .po files

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012, Mark Weyer wrote:
I do not think your argument is sound.
Assume I write a text, publish it under a license which basically says that
everyone translating it ows me EUR 1000, and then ask a random person on the
street to translate it (even without mentioning how it is licensed). Would you
say that I am entitled to any money? My guess is that in all sane jurisdictions
I am not.

Translating it if you have a copy, or to give to someone else who you're
translating it for, is fair use.  Therefore they don't have to pay you
any money, and the license is irrelevant, at least in the USA.

With your reference to EUR 1000, I assume you're not in the USA, so you might
not have fair use.  But even then, if you give someone something of your
own to translate, you gave them an implied license to do the translation.
If you give him a work made by someone else, however, you can't grant an
implied license.