Re: 3 questions around source of GPL images

Le mardi 20 mars 2012 05:55:19, vous avez écrit :
[SNIP]

> > Is it supposed to be the preferred form for the author. If it's the
> > user then it gets a bit complicated because it could vary from one
> > user to another.
>
> Theoretically, it can vary. But in most cases it should be clear. For
> PNG files generated automatically from SVG, clearly the SVG is the
> preferred form of the work for making further modifications.

In this case of course. But I checked quickly in oxygen-icons package and I
didn't see a rule to construct the png from the svg (although I could just
have missed it). It's just that there is a SVG with the same image as the png
so one can assume that the SVG is that preferred form of modification.

> > > Whether he actually did modify them, a judgement needs to be made:
> > > for the software work that actually ends up in the binary package,
> > > what is the preferred form of that software (in this case, a graphic
> > > image file) for making modifications to it?
> >
> > If I were to decide the SVG would be the preferred form, even for
> > image which were modified from the png. If you want to modify the text
> > on an image for instance, it is much easier to do a sed on the SVG and
> > the reapply whatever transformation the author did.
> >
> > However opinions could diverge here and I think "preferred form" is
> > not about a taste but about an absolute truth. I understand it as
> > "what is the easiest way to make modification".
>
> With the further caveats that forms of the work which no longer exist
> cannot qualify as “preffered form”, and non-software (i.e. not digital
> information) forms of the work cannot qualify.
>
> Don't get distracted by commonly-raised claims that some specific set of
> physical objects in front of a camera must be the “preferred form”.
> They're not software, and hence they don't get distributed in Debian.
>
> The caveat about existing is made because, even if someone might prefer
> it, it's not a form of the work since it no longer exists. The form of
> the work actually distributed as the “preferred form” must be a choice
> between options that actually exist.

I think I understand. Let me apply it to this situation to see if I understood
correctly.

1) There is a file img1.png which has a source img1.svg
2) img2.png is made from img1.png

It could be made more easily by creating an img2.svg from img1.svg and
exporting it but since img2.svg do not exist and never existed the only source
of img2.png is img2.png itself.

Is it what the caveat means in this specific situation?

> > I would say the SVG is the preferred form, even if upstream author
> > didn't use it.
>
> It's only the preferred form *of the work* if it is actually the source
> form of *this work*, i.e. it includes all modifications or whatever
> automatic transformations are needed to achieve those modifications.
>
> If this work has diverged from some version of the SVG, then that SVG is
> no longer the source form of this work, and doesn't satisfy the source
> requirement of the GPL (nor of Debian).

Ok. So the SVG are only the source for unmodified images. Got it.

> > It's also the safest path as pointed out Simon McVittie. I will thus
> > include the svg in addition of the png for the non modified files. I
> > suspect the size increase should be quite minimal anyway.
>
> I agree with Paul Wise that it would be ideal to convince upstream to
> distribute the SVGs that directly correspond to the actual PNGs in the
> package, so they can more clearly be used as the source form of the
> work.

I already discussed that with upstream. If SVGs don't make the tarball much
bigger, he is OK to include them. Else, he will do a seperate tarball. The
only difficulty is that he renamed the file he kept from the various icon packs
and didn't note what image he used. So I'll have to find what images he kept
from the icon packs and create a list of SVG that need to be included in
consequences. I already started that work.

Thanks for your help in clarifying the situation with regards the expression
"preferred form of modification".

Best regards.