Re: 3 questions around source of GPL images

Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:

> "Thomas Preud'homme" <robotux@celest.fr> writes:
> > However opinions could diverge here and I think "preferred form" is
> > not about a taste but about an absolute truth. I understand it as
> > "what is the easiest way to make modification".
>
> With the further caveats that forms of the work which no longer exist
> cannot qualify as “preffered form”, and non-software (i.e. not digital
> information) forms of the work cannot qualify.
>
> Don't get distracted by commonly-raised claims that some specific set
> of physical objects in front of a camera must be the “preferred form”.
> They're not software, and hence they don't get distributed in Debian.
>
> The caveat about existing is made because, even if someone might
> prefer it, it's not a form of the work since it no longer exists. The
> form of the work actually distributed as the “preferred form” must be
> a choice between options that actually exist.

That latter paragraph is muddled. I'll try again:

The caveat about existence is made because, even if someone describes
some form of the work for making modifications and says that's what they
prefer, if that form doesn't exist, it can't qualify as a “preferred
form of the work”. The form of the work actually distributed as the
“preferred form” must be chosen only from options that actually exist.

--
 \     “Don't be misled by the enormous flow of money into bad defacto |
  `\    standards for unsophisticated buyers using poor adaptations of |