From: Markus Kuhn <markus.kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk>
To: Clint Byrum <clint@ubuntu.com>
Cc: Jason Kirtland <jek@discorporate.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 03:23:38 -0800
Subject: Re: Copyright and License status of "transtab"

Clint Byrum wrote on 2012-01-30 07:34 UTC:
> My name is Clint, and I'm working on Packaging the python library
> 'translitcodec' for Debian.  In the course of packaging and review, its
> become clear that the license status of one directory of the library
> is ambiguous. Because Debian follows strict guidelines to both avoid
> liability for its developers, and also safeguard user freedom, the
> software won't be accepted without first clarifying this.
>
> The software in question is available here:
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/translitcodec/
>
> Jason, you are the attributed "author". It claims to make use of the
> transtab data provided by you, Dr. Markus Kuhn.
>
> Can either of you provide documentation of the copyright status and/or
> license granted to this data?

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/download/transtab.tar.gz

Should I ever get around to making another transtab release (an old,
unfinished project), I'll try to remember to add the following license
text somewhere:

  Markus Kuhn <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/> -- yyyy-mm-dd
  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/short-license.html

Executive summary: I promise not to sue you.

Hope this helped ...

Markus

--- End forwarded message ---