Re: Fwd: Re: Copyright and License status of "transtab"

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 12:04:26 -0800 Clint Byrum wrote:

> Hello.

Hi!

> I am working on preparing the 'python-translitcodec' python
> module for inclusion in Debian, and I've run into a snag with an
> ambiguous license/copyright.

Thanks a lot for your packaging effort and for taking legal issues
seriously.
This is really appreciated, indeed.

> I contacted the author of the python module, and the attributed author
> of the directory in question. His reply is below.
>
> Would including the text and headers of said reply in the debian/copyright
> file be sufficient to meet the DFSG? I tend to think they would be,
> but would appreciate a +1 from those who know better than I.

I think that the text and headers of the reply you quoted would be
fine, as long as you also include a full quotation of the referenced
web page <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/short-license.html> complete
with linked URLs.

If I read that web page correctly, the directory you are talking about
is multiply-licensed under a good number of Free Software licenses, at
the recipient's choice, among which the Expat/MIT license:
<http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license>  or (as I prefer)
<http://www.jclark.com/xml/copying.txt>

The Expat/MIT is a simple non-copyleft Free Software license which is
compatible with basically everything, hence I think there are no
problems with this directory.

> Thank you!

You are welcome!

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!