Re: Debian official web site is still non-free

Le Sun, Jan 08, 2012 at 11:17:02PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli a écrit :

> I'm under the *impression* that an important amount of people objecting
> copyright assignments do so to avoid the risk that their contributions
> get re-licensed under terms that go against their moral beliefs about
> software freedom. That is why I won't sign a copyright assignment to a
> for-profit entity.

Hi Stefano,

in my understanding, there is still a big difference between copyright
assignment and re-licensing, even if we trust the license to be free.

 - In the case of assignment, the author has to comply with the license
   chosen by SPI.

 - In the case of re-licensing, the author can still use his work under
   the license he prefers.

Imagine for example that I write for the Debian Med project's pages a short
explanation of what ‘biological sequence alignment’ means.  In that case, I
would like to keep the option to re-use my work freely.  However, if the
website were copylefted, and if I would transfer my copyright, this would
restrict my possibilities to re-use my own work.

For that reason, I think that copyright assignment and choice of license can
not be separated.  Which is another good reason to go for relicensing or
copyright disclaiming instead.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy