Re: Debian official web site is still non-free

On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 22:15:03 +0100 Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

[...]
> A possible way out, that I'm hereby suggesting, is to ask for the right
> to re-license (instead of copyright assignment), but to ask a blanket
> permission to re-license under any DFSG-free license the -www team will
> see fit, now and in the future.

I think that this is exactly what people opposing to copyright
assignment want to avoid: giving permission to re-license under yet
unknown terms.
At least, I would *not* want to give blanket permissions to re-license.
Not even to a non-profit organization.
I have been disappointed by too many organizations, including
non-profit ones (please don't get me started with listing specific
examples, or I'll go on for days!).

Moreover, "any DFSG-free license" is quite vague.
Who decides which licenses are DFSG-free and which are not?
It is well-known (at least among debian-legal regulars) that not
everybody agrees with each other on the DFSG-freeness of a work.
Countless examples could be made.
Hence, having a promise to re-license under a "DFSG-free license" won't
be enough to reassure people who have their own strong opinions on
software freedom issues.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!