Re: Are Web-API packages need to be in the 'main' repo ?

Jeff Epler, 2011-12-16 16:29+0100:
> I don't think that the "desert island" thought experiment has anything
> to do with web services.
>
> The purpose of the "desert island" "test" is to show why software like
> postcardware ("send me a postcard if you use my software") is not Free
> Software.

I would say that in another way. There is a difference between a
postcardware (or any close concept, such as “you must send me your
modifications”) and a piece of software meant to use a network service.
In the former case, you are forbidden to exercise your rights on your
desert island; in the latter you have the right to do so, only the
software will be pointless in such an environment.

For instance, reportbug is a free tool to use the BTS. It is of no use
on a desert island, but I do not think that makes it non free.

--
 ,--.
: /` )   Tanguy Ortolo <xmpp:tanguy@ortolo.eu> <irc://irc.oftc.net/Elessar>
| `-'    Debian Maintainer