Re: Lawyer request stop from downloading Debian

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 11:36:37AM -0700, Ken Arromdee wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Apr 2011, Jeff Epler wrote:
> >I'm trying to figure out how transmitting a range of bytes in a
> >torrent is different than transmitting a range of bytes in response to
> >e.g., an FTP REST or an HTTP byte-range request.
>
> It's not.  Imagine that instead of torrenting the file, you just downloaded it
> by FTP, then made it available for someone else to get by FTP.

I agree that a debian ISO image such as
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.1a/i386/iso-cd/debian-6.0.1a-i386-netinst.iso
does not fulfill the 3.a) "complete machine-readable source code"
condition for distribution.

Are you saying that nothing inside a (complete) debian ISO image
containing GPLv2 software in executable form fulfills either the 3.b)
"written offer" or 3.c) "information you received" conditions for
distribution?  That if I give someone a CDR with a debian*netinst.iso
burned on it it and nothing else, I'm violating the GPLv2?

If so, it seems to me that this is a bug in debian that could be fixed.
Once that's fixed, and if you agree that receiving the file divided into
distinct packets over a network system, then it seems you'd have to
agree that bittorrent distribution is OK too.

Jeff