Re: S3TC patent violation in multiple packages?

Le samedi 25 décembre 2010 à 13:58 +0100, Rudolf Polzer a écrit :
> the S3TC texture compression scheme is covered by an US patent, as described in
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/nouveau/2010-March/005439.html
>
> The following Debian packages in "main" seem to contain S3TC decompression code:

Don’t forget that compression and decompression are different
algorithms. Regardless of the complexity of a compression algorithms,
decompression ones are usually trivial in comparison, and not covered by
patents. This is for example why we ship tons of MPEG decoders in main.

As for the compression algorithms, I can only agree with Julien: we can
only care if the patent is being actively enforced and considered valid.
Otherwise we might as well stop distributing anything.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :