Re: Distribution of media content together with GPLv2 code in one package?

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 12:01:04 +0200 Miriam Ruiz wrote:

> 2010/4/5 Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it>:
[...]
> > Steve, please clarify your interpretation of the DFSG.
> > It sounds very awkward to me.
>
> Even though it might sounded ackward when I first read this, Steve can
> have a point here. If I am understanding correctly, he's referring to
> the difference of meaning between the terms "software" and "program".

I am very aware of this distinction: I myself use the term "software"
in its broad sense.
I even wrote an essay to explain this:
http://www.inventati.org/frx/essays/softfrdm/whatissoftware.html

> DFSG applies to everything Software, but DFSG#2 explicitly applies
> only to computer programs.
[...]
> I'm not really sure if I really agree with the implications of Steve's
> interpretation of DFSG#2, but I have to admit that it might make
> sense, and that the answer is not obvious for me.

I don't agree with the implications of Steve's interpretation, since
they would mean that *almost nothing* in the DFSG apply to non-programs.
Again, see my unanswered questions:

The fact is that GR-2004-003 amended the Social Contract in order to
make it clear that the DFSG apply to all works, be they programs or
non-programs:
http://www.debian.org/vote/2004/vote_003
But unfortunately it did not amend the DFSG themselves, in order to
make them less program-specific in their explanations.
I am convinced that this was a formal flaw, that should *not* be
considered as changing the meaning of GR-2004-003.
A flaw that should be fixed by amending the DFSG, *not* by claiming
that the majority of the DFSG do not apply to non-programs.

I hope this clarifies my personal position.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/progs/scripts/pdebuild-hooks.html
 Need some pdebuild hook scripts?