Re: Distribution of media content together with GPLv2 code in one package?

2010/4/5 Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it>:
> On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 23:52:45 -0700 Steve Langasek wrote:

>> > That was voted on 2004 and Debian decided that you are incorrect.  It
>> > is time to move on.
>>
>> No, it did not.  Debian decided that all works must comply with the DFSG.
>> DFSG #2 does not apply to non-program works.
>
> Steve, please clarify your interpretation of the DFSG.
> It sounds very awkward to me.

Even though it might sounded ackward when I first read this, Steve can
have a point here. If I am understanding correctly, he's referring to
the difference of meaning between the terms "software" and "program".
DFSG applies to everything Software, but DFSG#2 explicitly applies
only to computer programs. I'm using the definitions in the Wikipedia
as an example for clarifying the point, not that they should be
mandatory in any way:

Software [1]: Digitally stored data such as computer programs and
other kinds of information read and written by computers.
Program [2]: Sequence of instructions written to perform a specified
task for a computer.

DFSG#2 says that: "The program must include source code, and must
allow distribution in source code as well as compiled form".

I'm not really sure if I really agree with the implications of Steve's
interpretation of DFSG#2, but I have to admit that it might make
sense, and that the answer is not obvious for me.

Greetings,
Miry

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_software
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_program