Re: Packaging the MeeGo stack on Debian - Use the name ?

Hello Didier,

I am responding to you in relation to your inquiry below. First, thanks very much for sending the MeeGo Project these questions. We really do appreciate it. The MeeGo Project members devoted quite a bit of time discussing these questions to make sure the  responses are fair and most of all work to the benefit of the MeeGo project, its developers and the users of MeeGo.

To start with, the goal is to avoid any confusion around what is and what is not MeeGo.  Anything that is or will become associated with the MeeGo trademark has to be in conformance with the compliance program.  With that in mind, it becomes clear why none of the proposed uses of MeeGo  mentioned in your email are in line with the trademark policy and guidelines as they create confusion around MeeGo project packages, mailing list, project team name, etc.  For example, when you append MeeGo to a package name, it would be very reasonable to conclude that this is an official MeeGo package coming from MeeGo.com, which is not the case and could cause confusion both for your users as well MeeGo's.

We would ask you to move away from using {M,m}-e-e-{G,g}-o or any subset of those letters or sounds in that order, alone or in combination with other letters, words or marks that would tend to cause someone to make a reasonable connection of the reference with the MeeGo mark. We specifically discussed one possibility for illustration purposes – which is to use MG in the place of MeeGo.  We do not think that a plain text MG, when used in reference to the code, as in a file or project or team name, would cause a reasonable person to be confused.

We are available for additional discussions if needed and if you prefer to have a call to discuss we can certainly do that.

Best Regards,
Ibrahim Haddad [on behalf of The Meego Project]

PS:
We started an FAQ at http://meego.com/trademark. We have added some text already and Q&A will be added there as they come.