Re: [MeeGo-dev] Packaging the MeeGo stack on Debian - Use the name ?

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Ibrahim Haddad <ibrahim@linux.com> wrote:
> We would ask you to move away from using {M,m}-e-e-{G,g}-o or any subset of
> those letters or sounds in that order, alone or in combination with other
> letters, words or marks that would tend to cause someone to make a
> reasonable connection of the reference with the MeeGo mark. We specifically
> discussed one possibility for illustration purposes – which is to use MG in
> the place of MeeGo.  We do not think that a plain text MG, when used in
> reference to the code, as in a file or project or team name, would cause a
> reasonable person to be confused.

I like the idea of a unique name that indicates heritage from the
MeeGo project, but is the name "mg" unique enough? What about a bit
longer name like 'ogeem' ?

It would actually be rather slick if projects just used their names
frontwise-round as a trademarked term, and allowed the community to
use their names in reverse to merely indicate heritage ("meego" ->
"ogeem", "debian" -> "naibed", etc...). This would provide a
standardized method for pointing at the upstream project without
stepping on any Trademark toes.

(Pronunciation is left as an exercise for the reader)
(Palindromicly-named projects (e.g. "PHP") pose a particular problem)

--R