Re: trademark infringement FreeFOAM

Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> writes:
>> p.s. I think the FSF in general plays it quite fair; I'd treat a
>> for-profit company with a lot more skepticism.
>
> I don't think that requiring copyright assignment from contributors is
> a fair game, not even when practiced by the FSF.
> However, if you trust the FSF to always take "good" decisions on
> licensing matters (I don't), you are of course entitled to your
> opinion...

Of course, as are you.

I'm not really defending assignments, but simply saying that _given_ the
assignment policy, the FSF has kept the trust put in them (but I don't
think I'd put the same amount of trust in a for-profit entity).

While the FSF assignment policy itself has obvious negatives, it _is_ an
attempt to deal with real issues (i.e., it's not a pointless
power-grab), and I don't think it's very clear which alternative is
better or worse in general, or if there _is_ any general right answer.

-Miles

--
The key to happiness
 is having dreams.      [from a fortune cookie]