Re: package changing their license to get into main (sandboxgamemaker)

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 15:36:42 -0300 Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

> Francesco Poli wrote:
> >> 2.  You must read and abide by the zlib/libpng licenses located in
> >> /src which pertains to the source code of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free
> >> 3D Game Maker, Moviecube and the Cube 2 source code which the project
> >> is based on. You can find the licenses in sandbox_src_license.txt,
> >> moviecube_license, and Cube_2_enginelicense.txt
> >
> > This is the strange condition 2 that makes this license become a sort
> > of "pointer-license": if I understand correctly, it states that I must
> > read the zlib license and abide by it for the source of Sandbox,
> > Moviecube and Cube 2.
[...]
> *Maybe* what they really meant (which is not clear at all) is that you must
> follow the zlib and libpng licenses for the zlib and libpng libraries that
> they use or have as embedded copies in their source code, but they don't
> apply to the actual gamemaker's code.

I agree that the situation is not clear, but your interpretation does
not seem to be backed by the actual text: they talk about "the source
code of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker, Moviecube and the
Cube 2 source code" and they refer to sandbox_src_license.txt,
moviecube_license, and Cube_2_enginelicense.txt

If we take a look at, for instance,
http://www.svn.kids.platinumarts.net/32pas32/trunk/src/sandbox_src_license.txt
we see something that looks like a license for "Platinum Arts Sandbox
Free 3D Game Maker game engine source code, any release", and the
license text is the zlib license one...

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/progs/scripts/pdebuild-hooks.html
 Need some pdebuild hook scripts?