package changing their license to get into main (sandboxgamemaker)

Hello,

(please cc: me and upstream "Platinum Arts" <platinumarts@gmail.com>,
as we are not on this list)

I'm the maintainer of sandboxgamemaker, currently a contrib package
because upstream's license is restrictive regarding content
distribution.

However, upstream has worked to make their license more permissive so
that the package can be included in main.

The new license is below [1]:

"You are free to use and redistribute Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker
(Sandbox) in binary and/or source code form if the following
conditions are met:
1.  This notice may not be removed or altered from any distribution.
2.  You must read and abide by the zlib/libpng licenses located in
/src which pertains to the source code of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free
3D Game Maker, Moviecube and the Cube 2 source code which the project
is based on. You can find the licenses in sandbox_src_license.txt,
moviecube_license, and Cube_2_enginelicense.txt
3.  If you create a "Sandbox Project" for distribution in Platinum
Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker, you are encouraged to contact
Platinum Arts LLC and provide information about the project.  Also you
MUST credit Platinum Arts Sandbox on your webpage, software and/or
documentation, someplace where it makes it clear that Sandbox was the
base for your project. Links to our webpage on your webpage are the
most preferred.  You are also encouraged keep your source open and
available for inclusion in Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker to
help further the project.
4.  When you submit content (e.g. packages, maps, models) for
inclusion in Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker you grant
Platinum Arts LLC a Creative Commons 3.0 - BY SA license to copy,
modify, and redistribute the submitted content unless another license
is submitted with the content. Authors of the content will be credited
and they retain the copyright of their work.
5.  Most content includes an individual readme with licensing
information however if there is content you wish to use that is
lacking a license please contact us for clarification.
6.  This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied
warranty.  In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages
or any other problems arising from the use of this software.
7. NOTE TO EDUCATORS - If you use this software in an educational
setting, we request that you send us an e-mail and tell us where and
how it is being used.  Additonally we'd appreciate feedback on student
reaction and how things work out.  It would be much appreciated if you
posted your experiences here:
http://forum.sandboxgamemaker.com/viewforum.php?f=17";

The zlib license they refer to in (2) is [2]:

"Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose,
including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it
freely, subject to the following restrictions:

1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not
   claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software
   in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be
   appreciated but is not required.
2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be
   misrepresented as being the original software.
3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution."

Regarding (5), the content is all CC-BY-SA or less strict (i.e.
CC-BY), no -NC licenses.

I just wanted to check (3). The intent is that if you want to
distribute a game made with the engine along with distributing the
engine, sandbox's devs don't want you to misrepresent sandbox and to
acknowledge you used their tool. I know advertisement clause in BSD
doesn't mix with GPL, which does not allow the addition of
restrictions beyond those it already imposes [3]. Sandboxgamemaker
links with LGPL libraries and at least one GPL library (libstdc++6).

Thank you for your time in this review! This won't actually take
effect until the next release of their software, which will probably
be after squeeze - but I'd like to get this worked out ahead of time.

Regards,
Scott

[1] http://www.svn.kids.platinumarts.net/32pas32/trunk/LICENSE.txt
[2] http://www.svn.kids.platinumarts.net/32pas32/trunk/src/sandbox_src_license.txt