Re: CodeIgniter license

On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 09:41:11AM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> >>Its requirement for the modifier's name to be recorded is also a
> >>concern. I think the “Dissident” test is violated by this.

> > Which means nothing; it has no solid grounding in the DFSG.

> We need to keep track of the copyright situation of a work, otherwise
> there is no way to know if we'll be able to actually keep our promise
> of DFSG-freeness.

There is no requirement in Debian to track the copyright status of the work
beyond what's required by statute or by the licenses themselves.  There are
many works in the archive which list pseudonymous copyright holders, many
more listing copyright holders that are *probably* real people that we have
no way of contacting, and we have never considered this a problem.  The risk
of a hostile entity deliberately injecting code into our archive so that
they can sue us later for copyright infringement is remote - and the sort of
hypothetical that we shouldn't be basing our policies around.