Re: RFS - mapcatcher

Hi Johan,

thanks for the review :-)

On 07/20/2010 06:10 PM, Johan Van de Wauw wrote:
This looks like a package in which debian gis might be interested, I
have added them in cc.

I cannot sponsor your upload, but will still try to review it. Some
comments already:
* I'm no legal expert, but I guess that while using google maps you
are breaking their license. You should find out whether it is ok to
distribute such a program in debian (perhaps debian-legal?). This
should not be an issue when openstreetmaps/... is used.
it so happens I know OpenStreetMaps are listed in GMapCatcher's list of 'no bulk download allowed' providers, although they allow download of the .osm data files, bulk download of the the actual .png tiles is not officially allowed; so GMapCatcher tries to discourage people from bulk downloading from those providers - it puts up a modal warning; should it prevent them absolutely?

I must say I suppose I had been thinking that as the project is hosted at google code they must have seen it :-) I know it sounds rather a large amount of checking for them to do, every project at google code - although when it suits them they can't check, as in youtube :-D

I'm looking at Google's Maps terms of service at http://maps.google.com/help/terms_maps.html it looks as though the viewer would count as a kind of browser so should be no trouble for the 'method' clause; however the bulk download could be thorny for similar reasons to the OpenStreetMap question, let's see what debian-legal have to say
* Why is the package name mapcatcher? Wouldn't it be less confusing to
use gmapcatcher, like upstream?
My thinking is that gmapcatcher was more the name when it was strictly for google maps - as it must originally have been; now it's for 'every' map provider, a more universal package name seems appropriate
* README.Debian; legacy.diff: remove these files
done, thanks
* debian/control: last standards version is 3.9.0 - check if your
package complies and bump the version
seems to work :-)
Anyway, thanks for your work!
Johan