Re: Providing an openssl-linked pycurl

В Tue, 06 Jul 2010 23:09:14 +0200, Francesco Poli написа:
> On Mon,  5 Jul 2010 16:09:07 +0100 (BST) MJ Ray wrote:
>> If it's using
>> libfoo which can be linked against OpenSSL/GnuTLS, is the source of the
>> GPL program derived from OpenSSL, though?
>
> AFAICT, the problem with linking a GPL program with OpenSSL seems to be
> (simply) that the GPL does not give us permission to distribute the
> program in object/executable form, unless we make the complete source
> available under the terms of the GPL itself

Exactly.

>> If not, we can still distribute the version that doesn't link against
>> libssl.
>
> I agree with this conclusion, but for the reasons explained above,
> rather than for the linking-is-derivation theory.

FWIW, I agree with you.

The murky detail that spawned this thread is that the question is
about an interpreted language.  I think the FSF were right in their
conclusion about gajim + python-openssl, because by doing

  import OpenSSL.SSL
  import OpenSSL.crypto

the application is effectively using the facilities provided by the
OpenSSL library; it matters not whether this happens via a wrapper
exposing its own Python API.  The same would hold if the app was using
Python's built-in _ssl extension, or was importing another module
which in turn imports python-openssl.