Re: CMU LTI Licence

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 06:22:07 -0800 (PST) Walter Landry wrote:

> Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > Or is the copyright holder's intent that the acknowledgement be clearly
> > visible to every recipient, even those who receive a non-source form of
> > the work? The latter would be a non-free restriction, like the obnoxious
> > advertising clause in the older BSD licenses.
>
> The obnoxious advertising clause is DFSG-free.  The license mentioned
> in DFSG #10 was originally the BSD with advertising clause.
>
>   http://web.archive.org/web/19990210065944/http://www.debian.org/misc/bsd.license

Indeed, AFAICT, the obnoxious advertising clause of the 4-clause BSD
license has been regarded as acceptable for a long time by the Debian
Project.

I agree that it is obnoxious, and I would recommend anyone against
adopting a license that includes such a clause.
Nonetheless, the Debian Project does not consider it as a non-free
clause.

As far as clause 5 in the CMU LTI Licence (which is under analysis
here) is concerned, I don't especially like it, but I don't have a
strong opinion on its acceptability.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/progs/scripts/pdebuild-hooks.html
 Need some pdebuild hook scripts?