Re: RFS: spim

Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com> writes:

> [Please CC me in replies]

Done. I am sending to the ‘debian-legal’ forum, to discuss the license
terms of the work.

> * Package name    : spim
>   Version         : 7.5-1
>   Upstream Author :  James R. Larus <larus@microsoft.com>
> * URL             :  http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~larus/spim.html
> * License         : other
>   Section         : non-free/electronics
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> spim       - MIPS R2000/R3000 emulator

> The license is as follows:
>     You may make copies of SPIM for your own use and modify those copies.
>
>     All copies of SPIM must retain my name and copyright notice.
>
>     You may not sell SPIM or distribute SPIM in conjunction with a
>     commercial product or service without the expressed written consent of
>     James Larus.

This grants no permission to redistribute. What license from the
copyright holder does the Debian project have to redistribute this in
‘non-free’?

If the answer is “nothing explicit”, then the default copyright
restrictions prevent the Debian project from redistributing the work at
all.

--
 \        “The right to search for truth implies also a duty; one must |
  `\      not conceal any part of what one has recognized to be true.” |