Re: New Adobe CMaps license free enough for Debian?

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 10:24:56PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 9:28 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> wrote:

September 25 CMap files was updated in Ghostscript Subversion, with the
following license:

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or
without modification, are permitted provided that the
following conditions are met:

Redistributions of source code must retain the above
copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
disclaimer.

Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials
provided with the distribution.

In addition to Francesco's mail, I'd like to ask why ghostscript is committing the CMap files to their SVN, shouldn't they just depend on them instead of making an embedded data copy?

We (the Debian ghostscript team) do not include CMap files, upstream do.

They include several software parts that we then avoid using - more so in recent cleanups made by me, and even more (separate packaging of jbig2dec) still pending.

Masayuki Hatta is probably more knowledgable about CMap files than me. I just didn't hear from him for a long time so did not expect him to be active currently.

 - Jonas