Re: legal questions regarding machine learning models

> > This looks very similar to distributing a picture which is a 2D
> > rendering of a 3D model without distributing the original model. This is
> > already accepted in the archive, and the reason is that a 2D picture is
> > its own source, and can serve as a base for modified versions this way.
>
> I disagree with this decision by the FTP masters.
> I personally think that, in most cases, the 2D rendering is not the
> actual source, since many modifications would be best made by changing
> the 3D model and re-rendering the 2D image.

I agree with you. In particular, in many cases a single 3D model is used
to create many 2D images. If you don't have the model, you need to do
the modification many times.
And then there is the case of increasing the resolution...

> Disclaimers, of course: IANADD, TINASOTODP (and IANAL, TINLA).

Same here.

Best regards,

  Mark Weyer