Re: legal questions regarding machine learning models

Mathieu Blondel <mathieu@mblondel.org> writes:

> * The model alone can be distributed under a free license.
> - As a consequence of this, neither the original data nor the program
> to build the model need to be free.

Going by the FSF definition of a free work, specifically freedom 1 and 3
<URL:http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html>, a necessary
precondition for a work to be free is for its recipients to have free
access to the source form of the work.

What does “the source form of the work” mean for these models?
Whatever the answer to that is, describes something that needs to be
freely available to every recipient, in order to consider the work free.

> * The DFSG is more restrictive and requires the source of any software
> in Debian.

The DFSG has different restrictions from the FSF definition, true. I
don't think it differs on this point though: free access to the source
form of the work is part of the definition of free software.

--
 \     “I got some new underwear the other day. Well, new to me.” —Emo |
  `\                                                           Philips |