Re: legal questions regarding machine learning models

2009/5/27 Mark Weyer <weyer@informatik.hu-berlin.de>:
>> > This looks very similar to distributing a picture which is a 2D
>> > rendering of a 3D model without distributing the original model. This is
>> > already accepted in the archive, and the reason is that a 2D picture is
>> > its own source, and can serve as a base for modified versions this way.
>>
>> I disagree with this decision by the FTP masters.
>> I personally think that, in most cases, the 2D rendering is not the
>> actual source, since many modifications would be best made by changing
>> the 3D model and re-rendering the 2D image.
>
> I agree with you. In particular, in many cases a single 3D model is used
> to create many 2D images. If you don't have the model, you need to do
> the modification many times.
> And then there is the case of increasing the resolution...

I don't know if it would be technically possible to go to that
extremes. Having the source code of all the music and video intros for
all the games, of all the sounds, could be probably 100 times bigger
than the current archives. Well, you get the idea. I don't think it's
a single package what we're talking about. I remember there was a
thread some time ago on what would happen if we took the "having a
whole free source and toolchain" when applied to music, and how it
would be absolutely impossible to achieve, at least right now. Any
idea on what to do in those situations?

Greetings,
Miry

PS:I'm CC'ing to the Debian Games Team mailing list.