Re: ITP: thaifonts-siampradesh -- Thai TrueType fonts derived from DIP/SIPA contested fonts

Theppitak Karoonboonyanan <thep@linux.thai.net> wrote:
> FYI, I once posted to consult with debian-legal last year [1],
> but have got no answer so far. So, I decide to prepare the
> pacakge for non-free.
>   [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2008/07/msg00008.html

I suspect I didn't reply because I was avoiding the OFL-fu and didn't
understand editing it could possibly change the postcard clause.

> MJ Ray wrote:
> > While not a DFSG problem, I think it's misleading to call this
> > cooperative font creation when the sale restriction limits economic
> > participation and the notification requirement means it is not
> > autonomous.  Compare http://www.ica.coop/coop/principles.html
>
> Well, it's the same restriction as found in DejaVu font, anyway:

Quite possibly. It's trivial to avoid (so not a DFSG problem) but
still a restriction on economic participation by font developers, so
discourages cooperative font creation.

[...]
> >> WILL WORK AS EXPECTED OR WILL BE DEVELOPED FURTHUR IN ANY SPECIFIC WAY.  THERE
> >> IS NO OFFER OR GUARANTEE OF TECHNICAL SUPPORT.
> >
> > Spelling error: further not furthur.
>
> Can I edit the license terms/disclaimers? Is it legal to do so?

Not really.  One should ask the licensor to fix it.  I pointed it out
because unfixed spelling errors are another hint that the licence
hasn't been reviewed properly yet.

Hope that explains,
--
MJR/slef