Re: ITP: thaifonts-siampradesh -- Thai TrueType fonts derived from DIP/SIPA contested fonts

Theppitak Karoonboonyanan <thep@linux.thai.net> wrote:
> * License         : OFL-alike, with written notification requirement (see below)

I believe this font is postcard-ware, so does not follow the DFSG, so
cannot be part of debian.  cc'ing debian-legal to check.

> * License:
>
> Font Computer Program License Agreement
>
> Reserved Font Names for this Font Computer Program:
> TH Krub, TH Krub Italic, TH Krub Bold, TH Krub Bold Italic,
> TH Niramit AS, TH Niramit AS Italic, TH Niramit AS Bold, TH Niramit AS Bold Italic,
> TH Kodchasal, TH Kodchasal Italic, TH Kodchasal Bold, TH Kodchasal Bold Italic,
> TH Sarabun PSK, TH Sarabun PSK Italic, TH Sarabun PSK Bold, TH Sarabun PSK Bold Italic,
> TH K2D July8, TH K2D July8 Italic, TH K2D July8 Bold, TH K2D July8 Bold Italic,
> TH Mali Grade 6, TH Mali Grade 6 Italic, TH Mali Grade 6 Bold, TH Mali Grade 6 Bold Italic,
> TH Chakra Petch, TH Chakra Petch Italic, TH Chakra Petch Bold, TH Chakra Petch Bold Italic,
> TH Baijam, TH Baijam Italic, TH Baijam Bold, TH Baijam Bold Italic,
> TH KoHo, TH KoHo Italic, TH KoHo Bold, TH KoHo Bold Italic,
> TH Fah Kwang, TH Fah Kwang Italic, TH Fah Kwang Bold, TH Fah Kwang Bold Italic.

This is a long list of reserved names.  I don't know Thai words.
Does anyone know if the names are words which would usually be used
otherwise?  If so, this is a significant restriction on derived works
which would break DFSG 3 and/or 4.

> This Font Computer Program is the copyright of the Department of Intellectual
> Property (DIP), Ministry of Commerce and the Software Industry Promotion Agency
> (Public Organization) (SIPA)
>
> The purposes of this Font Computer Program License are to stimulate worldwide
> development of cooperative font creation, to benefit for academic, to share and
> to develop in partnership with others.

While not a DFSG problem, I think it's misleading to call this
cooperative font creation when the sale restriction limits economic
participation and the notification requirement means it is not
autonomous.  Compare http://www.ica.coop/coop/principles.html

> Terms and Conditions of the Font Computer Program
>
> (1) Allow to use without any charges and allow to reproduce, study, adapt and
> distribute this Font Computer Program. Neither the original version nor adapted
> version of Font Computer Program may be sold by itself, except bundled and/or
> sold with any computer program.
>
> (2) If you wish to adapt this Font Computer Program, you must notify copyright
> owners (DIP & SIPA) in writing.

This makes the font postcard-ware, breaking DFSG 1: free redistribution.

> (3) No adapted version of Font Computer Program may use the Reserved Font
> Name(s), the name(s) of the copyright owners and the author(s) of the Font
> Computer Program must not be used to promote or advertise any adapted version,
> except obtaining written permission from copyright owners and the author(s).
>
> (4) The adapted version of Font Computer Program must be released under the
> term and condition of this license.
>
> DISCLAIMER
> THE FONT COMPUTER PROGRAM AND RELATED FILES ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” AND WITHOUT
> WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.  NO GUARANTEES ARE MADE THAT THIS FONT COMPUTER PROGRAM
> WILL WORK AS EXPECTED OR WILL BE DEVELOPED FURTHUR IN ANY SPECIFIC WAY.  THERE
> IS NO OFFER OR GUARANTEE OF TECHNICAL SUPPORT.

Spelling error: further not furthur.

Hope that helps,
--
MJR/slef