Re: Apple license and LGPL

René Mayorga <rmayorga@debian.org> wrote:
> Is this OK?, I can just let this file to stay at upstream tarball?
> or I should remove it.

If it's not used, I'd remove it.  I'm confused about its status.

If it's used and no-one explains why APSL is LGPL-compatible, I'd ask
BOINC whether there was some permission to rerelease the APSL parts
under LGPL that we've not been told about.

[...]
> // This file is adapted from code originally supplied by Apple Computer, Inc.
> // The Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing project has modified
> // the original code and made additions as of September 22, 2006.  The original
> // Apple Public Source License statement appears below:

So it's not clear whether BOINC was supplied it under LGPL or APSL-1.1?

> /*
>  * Copyright (c) 2002-2004 Apple Computer, Inc.  All rights reserved.
>  *
>  * @APPLE_LICENSE_HEADER_START@
>  *
>  * The contents of this file constitute Original Code as defined in and
>  * are subject to the Apple Public Source License Version 1.1 (the
>  * "License").

APSL-1.1 is not a free software licence.  See
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/historical-apsl.html
but see below for why it doesn't matter.

> You may not use this file except in compliance with the
>  * License.

This seems to contradict use under LGPL.

Section 7 of http://www.opensource.apple.com/apsl/1.1.txt
allows us to pick a later version, so we can use it under the free
software APSL 2.0.

However, APSL 2.0 is GPL-incompatible, see
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/apsl.html but I'm not sure whether it's
LGPL-compatible.  Anyone got time to check, please?

Hope that helps,
--
MJR/slef