Re: Non free license?

Hi Pietro,

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 08:32:32AM +0100, Pietro Battiston wrote:
> I'm interested in packaging Shapely, a python library [0].

> The library was already packaged once, uploaded and then rejected by
> ftp-masters: I tried to get the reason but didn't get a response from
> (eventual) maintainer, neither from ftp-masters.

> In the end, I'm repackaging it from scratch, but also trying to guess
> what could be the reason of the rejection, and I noticed a not really
> standard license... but in fact, it's a normal 3-clauses BSD license,
> with the third clause slightly modified [1].

> Could you confirm this license is OK with debian?

> [0]: http://trac.gispython.org/lab/wiki/Shapely
> [1]: http://svn.gispython.org/svn/gispy/Shapely/trunk/LICENSE.txt

It is recommended that you include license texts verbatim in your mail to
debian-legal, so it's clear that everyone is commenting on the same text.

  Copyright (c) 2007, Sean C. Gillies
  All rights reserved.

  modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

      * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
        notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
      * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
        documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
      * Neither the name of Sean C. Gillies nor the names of
        its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from
        this software without specific prior written permission.

  THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS"
  AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
  IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
  ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE
  LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
  CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF
  SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS
  INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN
  CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE)
  ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE
  POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Yes, this is a normal 3-clause BSD license, with the standard author name
substitution, and is perfectly acceptable for Debian main.

There should have been a reject email sent by the ftpmasters in response to
this upload, if it was rejected out of the NEW queue.  Perhaps it was sent
to your sponsor?