Re: Is AGPLv3 DFSG-free?

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> You don't have to give source to every user of your software, only
> to those who ask.

The GPL allows us to provide equivalent access to the source as we do
to the binaries, which is something that is easily solvable using the
same distribution mechanism at distribution time. In this way, we
don't have to even give source to those who ask.[1]

The AGPL requires access to source to occur at the time of use, which
is more difficult. Resolving this issue as a practical matter for all
of our users all of the time is non-trivial until such a time as we
have a working snapshot.d.o. [I'd be interesting in seeing someone who
has an AGPLv3 work in use which actually satifies the terms of the
AGPLv3 (and properly tracks upgrades of packages) without reliance on
system library exemptions to avoid actually distributing the
Corresponding Source.]

Don Armstrong

1: Though obviously we should as good members of the FOSS community.
--
Some pirates achieved immortality by great deeds of cruelty or
derring-do. Some achieved immortality by amassing great wealth. But