Re: Public Domain for Germans

In message <873ai6j0u3.fsf@benfinney.id.au>, Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes
jfr.fg@freenet.de writes:

> Why have the free license as fallback?
> I advise you to simplify: Work *with* the fact that you've got
copyright,
> and license the work accordingly.

After all this seems to be the best,
although I like the Idea to give up copyright.

So do I. I encourage both of us to continue to agitate for a change in
law in our nations and worldwide so that copyright is *not* the
difficult-to-eradicate default.

Just don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Just as Europe doesn't have the concept of "fair use", the US doesn't have the concept of "moral rights".

I know some people would hate to be associated with software they'd written (I didn't want my name in credits for some software I wrote, but that was largely because, imho, I was severely hampered in doing the job properly by management dictat), but the point of "moral rights" is to prevent *you* from removing *my* name from *my* work. In other words, it is the (imho reasonable) European way of preventing you from falsely passing off my work as yours.

Much as you might disagree with HOW they've done it, you can't reasonably object to WHY they've done it.

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - anthony@thewolery.demon.co.uk