Re: Is AGPLv3 DFSG-free?

"Arc Riley" <arcriley@gmail.com> writes:

> This group's earlier declairation that the GNU FDL is non-free
> caused a rift in the community.

The rift existed long before the discussion about the freeness of the
FDL. That the FSF decided the FDL was desirable, or its restrictions
acceptable, are surely evidence of that rift's existence before the
FDL was even published.

It is good that the discussion occurred, because we were able to
observe just how wide the rift is. This allows us to work to mend it.

> Further declaring the AGPLv3 DSFG non-free would widen that rift
> and, as this is a software license, will alienate an even larger
> segment of the free software community from the Debian project. This
> divide is troubling and the only reason why I resubscribed.

I'm also very troubled by this rift. We need to find ways to mend it
and ameliorate the damage, without compromising our principles. I
don't see that aim as impossible; merely difficult. Thank you for
joining, I hope we can continue to work toward it.

--
 \      “It's up to the masses to distribute [music] however they want |
  `\    … The laws don't matter at that point. People sharing music in |