Re: Is AGPLv3 DFSG-free?

"Bernhard R. Link" <brlink@debian.org> writes:

> No, I want things to be free. BSD free is free and also gives the
> right to make it non-free. GPLv2 is free and ensures it stays free
> (copyleft). AGPL is non-free and GPLv3 is free but forbids to make
> it copyleft (as it forbids to remove to right to make it non-free by
> combining with AGPL).

That's a good assessment of the differences between these licenses. It
conforms with my understanding also.

> […] The GPL ensures that everyone is allowed all the things they
> would be if there was no license at all.

If there was no license at all to a work, the freedoms granted by the
GPL would be wholly restricted by copyright. I think you mean "… if
there was no copyright at all".

--
 \     “For myself, I am an optimist — it does not seem to be much use |
  `\              being anything else.” —Winston Churchill, 1954-11-09 |