Re: Is AGPLv3 DFSG-free?

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 18:17:31 +1000 Ben Finney wrote:

> Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> writes:
>
> > The key difference is that the GPL does not in any way restrict the
> > *use* of a *modified* or *unmodified* work. The AfferoGPL restricts
> > the *use* of a *modified* work.
>
> I find it best to avoid making such statements about the term "use",
> since it has famously been the core of many misunderstandings. For
> example, many who would call the GPL non-free say that their "right to
> use the work in a proprietary derivative work" is restricted. (I don't
> agree, but the discussion can only proceed by disambiguating different
> meanings of "use".)
>
> Instead, "use" should be avoided, and more specific actions should be
> discussed, such as "run the program".

I agree that the term "use" may be misleading in some contexts, but, on
the other hand, "run" can only apply to executable/interpretable
programs, while software (another term that often generates
misunderstandings!) also consists of works other than programs
(documents, images, audio/video, ...).
That's why I often say "use a work" (which may mean, on a case by case
basis, "run a program", "listen to an audio track", "read a document",
"view an image", ...).

However, you are right that, in the present case, where we are clearly
discussing about (networked) applications, saying "run the program"
generates way less ambiguities.

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/index.html#nanodocs
 The nano-document series is here!