Re: codecs and totem

Alexander Rozhkov wrote:
Good day.
I have a question: if I use totem or vlc (both provided by
debian) to watch commercially distributed DVD discs, do
I have to pay royalty for using codecs?

If yes, to whom should I pay?

Hello Alexander,

As far I know, Debian doesn't distribute codecs and software
requiring royalties. If you see such software in
official Debian, report it as a bug!

For software distributed outside Debian, it is difficult
to know.  On most countries software patents are not
valid, so codecs could be royalty free (but please
check copyright licenses).
On some countries also the CSS libaries are legal.

Anyway I'm not a layer, and I don't know
the law of you country, so take as hints for
further discussion.

ciao
	cate