Re: codecs and totem

"Alexander Rozhkov" <arozhkov@gmail.com> writes:

> I have a question: if I use totem or vlc (both provided by debian)
> to watch commercially distributed DVD discs, do I have to pay
> royalty for using codecs?

If your software comes entirely from Debian's 'main' archive, it's all
free software, which means you have freedom to use it whether or not
you pay anyone.

If, instead, you have some software that is not part of the Debian
operating system (such as software from the 'contrib' or 'non-free'
archives), you'll need to check the individual license terms for each
package you're talking about. This is part of the hassle of non-free
software.

--
 \     "I hope that after I die, people will say of me: 'That guy sure |
  `\                         owed me a lot of money.'"  -- Jack Handey |